Monday, February 4, 2013

Cooking Process- Dessert!


My last course was fairly simple, and fun to make. I made a chocolate caramel saltine bark, and it is essentially a candy because of the caramel. This made it slightly challenging to time for the baking, however it was quite fun. I recorded and took pictures of every step during the process, to give the viewer an idea and picture of each process, along with proving that all the making of the course was my own work. 
These were the steps listed in the recipe, which I followed with accuracy. 

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
  2. Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in single layer.
  3. In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread t cover crackers completely.
  4. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts. Cool completely and break into pieces.




I first took out all the ingredients, so that I wouldn't be scrambling or rushed to find ingredients during the delicately timed baking process



I layed out one layer of the saltines out on a baking sheet, and made sure not to leave any cracks or spaces between the crackers. If i did this, then the sticky caramel would harden on the pan, leaving it very difficult to clean up.




I put ingredients ingredients into a saucepan, which includes 1 cup brown sugar, and 1 cup butter
Here is an aerial view of the ingredients starting to melt in the hot pan

Here is a video of the melted ingredients, boiling in the pan


I carefully poured the sauce over the crackers, spreading it as far as possible. As you can see, I did not complete this step quickly enough, so not all the crackers were covered. 



I put the caramel crackers into the oven at 205ยบ C, and left them there for 5 minutes



As the video clearly shows, I took the hot caramel out of the oven, and sprinkled chocolate chips over it

Here are the chips right after I sprinkled them, 


Here are the chips about 10 minutes after I sprinkled them. They are quite a bit shinier, and melted. 




I spread out the melted chocolate, and this step was a complete success. Spreading was easy and I covered all of the crackers


As you can see, the chocolate was able to cover all of the crackers


My... what a mess I made! For next time... I would definitely clean along the way so that my whole mess was not left for the very end.



No comments:

Post a Comment