Saturday, February 2, 2013

Last but not least, Dessert!


The final course I will be making is dessert!

This final course is generally on the smaller side, because desserts tend to contain lots of sugars and carbohydrates. As stated in my previous entries, I want to avoid high amounts of these at all costs. 

As a recap, my chosen appetizer was fairly high-carb from the bread, but my main course had very low amounts of carbs. Because the appetizer was higher carb,  I still should try and stray from picking a dessert with a large amount of carbs. According to livestrong.com, a low carb-intake would be an amount below 55g. Because my appetizer bruschetta contains 35 g of carbohydrates, and 2 g in my main course, I can afford to pick a dessert recipe with a maximum of  g.
Although they do not usually contain carb-packcd breads, the carbohydrates tend to stack up from the sugars in desserts.
The science behind this is explained in my 'Nutrition!' blog.

The other ingredient I need to forgo, is peanut products.
Many desserts come with peanuts, so I need to be certain to omit these in my dessert of choosing.

So, low carb, no peanut dessert, here I come!


I am determined to include a salty/sweet option in my meal, and since I have no included one in my appetizer or main course, I must do so in my dessert.

Option #1- Saltine Toffee Cookies


Pros-                                                        Cons-
easy make                                                high fat          
few ingredients
under carb (18) limit















Option #2- Salted Caramel Turtle Triangles

Pros-                                                        Cons-
under carb (18) limit                                Time consuming
low fat                                                     many ingredients
low calorie




























Option #3- Lime Shortbread Cookies-

Pros-                                                        Cons-
under carb (18) limit                                many ingredients
low fat                                                     not salty-sweet
very low calorie                                       








After examining the pros and cons of each option, i've decided to go with the Salted Toffee cookies.
This recipe has been a favorite in my family, and it has the perfect salty-sweet combination that I was looking for. It also remains under my carb limit, with just 15 carbohydrates total. This dessert is extremely easy to make, which enables me to be less stressed about time constraints when I make the meal.

I must create a report, and this will be in a written form.
My final product for this entire product will be the three course meal, along with a video with pictures of my process, along with structured reviews of my guests about the meal.
For my presentation day, I will be bringing the video, along with the Salted Toffee Cookies as samples for people to taste.

My next post will be a long one, but it will include the process of my meal!

I will be including pictures and all the steps to my work.  

Ciao!
Kate xx




No comments:

Post a Comment