Monday, February 4, 2013

Cooking Process- Main Course!


My next step in creating my meal was the main course.
As a reminder, I chose to do a seasoned pork tenderloin.
This was my favorite part of the meal after tasting all the courses, simply because the flavors were so intricate and blended so perfectly together.


Again, these were the initial steps I got from the recipe, however I took pictures of each step, to help my viewer not only visualize the steps into making the main course, but to prove that each step in the making process was my own work.






Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In separate bowl mix dry ingredients such as garlic powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, thyme and salt. Stir mixture with a fork until all the ingredients are well combined and they form a seasoning. This will be used as a rub to ensure the pork is well seasoned throughout. Sprinkle the rub over the tenderloin with a dry hand, then rub the pork with the seasoning over both sides of the meat, pressing gently so the seasoning adheres well to the tenderloin.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and heat. Add the minced garlic and saute, stirring, for 1 minute. Put tenderloin in the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, searing each side using tongs to turn the meat. Transfer meat to a roasting pan and bake for 20 minutes. Slice and serve.

First, I laid out all the ingredients so that I would not be scrambling the ingredients during the making process





I first measured out the garlic powder for 1 teaspoon
I measured out 1 teaspoon of dried oregano

Then I measured out 1 teaspoon of dried thyme leaf

Then I measured out 1 teaspoon of ground cumin

Next, I measured out 1 teaspoon of ground coriander

I added a dash or two of salt to the rub
Then I used a fork to mix up the dry ingredients

Next, I made sure to wash my hands before handling the raw meat, so as not to get germs or dirt on the raw meat 

Next, I took out a cutting board. Then I realized something my mom had told me a while back, when choosing cutting boards. Wood cutting boards tend to soak up the flavors of food that hits the board. She told me never to use raw meat on a wooden board, because the board would soak up the raw meat, and possibly affect other food that comes in contact with the board in future cooking.


I decided to switch over to a plastic board when handling the raw meat, so the raw meat bacteria would not be soaked up in the board


I carefully cut open the package with scissors, being careful not to cut open the meat in the process

I sprinkled the mixture of herbs on the raw meat, making sure to coat every side and corner of the tenderloin. I pat down the herbs, so that they would stick to the meat better when pan-searing

My dog, sitting conveniently below the slab of meat
Here is a close-up picture of the herbed pork tenderloin. For extra flavor, I let the herbs 'soak' into the meat for about half an hour, while I made my appetizer. This allowed the flavors from the salt and the various herbs in the rub, to permeate the meat, causing it to be more flavorful after it was cooked.


I pre-heated my pan for about 5 minutes on high, before adding the tablespoon of olive oil. This is so the pan would be nice an hot, allowing the meat to brown easier

I added a teaspoon of minced garlic into the hot, oiled pan

I sauteed the minced garlic and oil for about one minute, before adding the meat.

I put the herbed tenderloin into the hot pan, but the meat was too long to fit in a straight line, forcing me to bend the meat in the pan. This did not affect the cooking of my meat. 

After letting the meat cook in the pan for about 5 minutes, I took a pair of grilling thongs to flip the tenderloin.

I let the meat cook for another 5 minutes, before transferring it to a roasting pan. 
I put the roasting pan with the tenderloin on it, into a pre-heated to 450ยบ F oven for 10 minutes.



I cut open the meat to see if it was done  (it smelled delicious!)
When it was done, I plated the food after slicing it, and served!



No comments:

Post a Comment